Because it is about time we solved the impact of growth on our schools, students and their education. I believe in managed growth which enables Dublin schools and serves as a catalyst for making right opportunities in quality education available to ALL students in Dublin in modern school facilities with excellent teachers and involved parent community.
As an active member of the District Optimization Committee (DOC), I comprehend the problems we face in the next few years at our elementary, middle and high schools. The goal of the DOC was to solve the problem of cyclical increase in our elementary and middle school population. E5-Jordan Ranch (K-8) as a flex school was the outcome. We did the ground breaking on Oct 3rd as promised and reap the benefits in the year 2018-19. On the boundary committee, I have ensured that traffic congestion is minimum and students can walk/bike to schools.
For the school year 2016-27, 9 out of 11 schools in Dublin have enrollment to their highest capacity and we continue to grow. The first impact of overcrowding will be on the quality of education. We need to build more schools and modernize existing ones to keep up with growth and maintain the high bar we have established in Dublin for education. We need to hire excellent teachers and continue improving programs/pathways that enable our students for college and career readiness.
Building more schools, modernizing existing ones and adding more program options requires funding. I believe in everyone paying their fair share including developers, state and corporate entities. The community has contributed enough from Measure-C, Measure-E and Measure-H. (Thank you). It is important now to go back to the state, developers and corporate entities for their fair share. I have advocated (with other trustees) to our legislators, senators and the state allocation board (SAB) to enable DUSD to charge level3 developers fees and prioritize payback of $30million from state to enable our fiscal standing. The private corporations also have to take up their social responsibility of supporting our schools. Affordable housing and central location in Dublin enables work-life balance for their employees and providing excellent schools for the kids. I support building schools using funds from corporate foundations and philanthropists.
I am facing an adversary who has opposed Measure-E and Measure-H. Without these bonds, we could not have charged the higher developer fees or used level3 fees as a leverage for negotiating better deals for our school district or build/modernize more of our schools. This would have aggravated our fiscal situation and resulted in more overcrowding. It was bond money which enabled us to build Amador Elementary School and modernize Dublin High School. It takes a village to educate our kids. We as a community cannot let down our kids. It is utmost important to elect leaders who have the vision and strategy to solve the problems. I want to provide this leadership and hence asking for your vote.
I promise to:
1) Build and modernize more schools to alleviate the issues with overcrowding.
2) Continue our effort to improve collaboration with city and developers to enable managed growth with neighborhood schools for all students.
3) Improve our fiscal soundness with balanced budget and getting the fair share from developers and state. Continue advocacy at capitol with our legislators and senators.
4) Reach out to corporate entities to reduce the burden of community financing our schools.
5) Ensure Measure-H funds are spent as per priorities with the goal of enabling ALL our students with quality education in modern facilities with excellent teachers and involved parent community.
6) Build the 2nd High School campus and provide additional programs, pathways and opportunities like international baccalaureate, robotics for ALL students.
6) Enable build-out of E5-Jordan Ranch for school year 2018-19 to improve the much needed middle school capacity.
7) Continue support in hiring and retaining excellent teachers.
Vote for effective experienced leadership. Vote for Sameer Hakim.